Saturday 4 January 2020

linear algebra - Characteristic polynomial of a unitary matrix.

Given a matrix a unitary $A$ $\in$ $M_{n \times n} (\mathbb{R})$, how does one show that its characteristic polynomial $\triangle_A(t)$ satisfies the following:



$t^n \triangle_A(1/t) = \pm \triangle_A(t)$.



I see that the characteristic polynomial is essentially symmetric (or anti-symmetric). I have shown that the determinant of a unitary matrix are $\pm 1$ and that its eigenvalues all have modulus 1. I feel that there is a connection between these properties and the structure of its characteristic polynomial.



If we are dealing with real numbers, it could happen that all of the eigenvalues are either 1 or -1. Then, using the binomial theorem, we would have $\triangle_A(t)= (t \pm 1)^n$, and we would obtain a symmetric or anti-symmetric polynomial.




However, I am stuck here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...