Friday 3 January 2020

linear algebra - Inverse Matrix and matrix multiplication




If I got the invertible matrix $A$, I can calculate the inverse matrix $A^{-1}$, so that $A \cdot A^{-1} = E$, where $E$ is the identity matrix.



Wikipedia says that not only $A\cdot A^{-1} = E$ must be fulfilled, but also $A^{-1} \cdot A = E $. Can someone explain to me why this is not a contradiction to the fact that matrix multiplication is not commutative ? Is the inverse matrix really defined as a matrix which fulfills both?


Answer



The inverse of a matrix is defined as the matrix that satisfies both relationships.



For square matrices $A$ and $B$,
$$
B\mbox{ is the inverse of }A:=B\mbox{ such that } AB{}={}BA{}={}I\,.
$$




Incidentally, this also means that $A$ is the inverse of $B$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...