Saturday 7 October 2017

calculus - Prove that $lim_{xrightarrow infty} frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 1} = 1$ using definition of limit.



Ok, so if I have to use definition, then I should prove something like this:



$(\forall \epsilon >0)(\exists k>0)(\forall x \in X)$




then if $ x>k$ then $|f(x) - L| <\epsilon$



$L$ is the limit of the function.



Now, let's say that there is $x>k$, since this must work for any $\epsilon$ then, let's say that $k=\frac{2}{\epsilon}$



so, $ \left|\frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 1} - 1\right| = \left|\frac{-2}{x^2 + 1}\right|=\frac{2}{x^2+1}<\frac{2}{x^2}<\frac{2}{x}<\frac{2}{k}=\epsilon$



Now, I'd like to know if this is correct, since I rarely do limits by definition, so I am not quite sure about this.



Answer



The mathematical details are correct. I would perhaps work a bit with the wording. This is how I would write it, were I given that problem on a test or as homework:




Given an $\epsilon > 0$, choose $k$ such that $k > \frac2{\epsilon}$ and $k>1$. Then we have for any $x > k$:$$\left|\frac{x^2 - 1}{x^2 + 1} - 1\right|= \cdots <\frac 2k < \epsilon$$Since $\epsilon$ was arbitrary, this proves that the function does converge to $1$.




Note that $\frac{2}{x^2} < \frac 2x$ is not true if $x \leq 1$, so you need to be specific about that too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...