Saturday 21 October 2017

elementary set theory - Proof that a subset of R has same cardinality as R



I am sitting with a task where I have to prove the following:



Claim:
Every subset of $\mathbb{R}$, that contains an interval $I$ with $a < b$, has the same cardinality as $\mathbb{R}$.



So I think that I should prove that there exist a bijection from $I$ to $\mathbb{R}$? I'm kinda lost, and don't know how to start.




There is a lemma 3 in the book saying:
Let $a,b \in \mathbb{R}$ with $-\infty\neq a < b \neq \infty$. There exist a $f\colon ]-1; 1[ \to ]a; b[$ that is bijektiv. The intervals $]-1; 1[$ and $]a; b[$ has same cardinality.



Another lemma 4 says:
$f\colon ]0; 1[ \to ]1; \infty[$, $x\to \frac{1}{x}$, is bijective. The intervals $f\colon ]0; 1[ \to ]1; \infty[$ have same cardinality.



(There is an image added to lemma4)



enter image description here




The above interval $]-1; 1[$ has same cardinality as $\mathbb{R}$, and the $f$ is bijective
Any help is highly appreciated


Answer



Hints:



First prove that any two non-empty open intervals have the same cardinality.



Second, pass now to use the nice interval $\;(-\pi/2\,,\,\pi/2)\;$ and a rather nice, simple trigonometric function to show equipotency with $\;\Bbb R\;$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...