Sunday 8 October 2017

triangles - Proving the Pythagorean Theorem with just variables

I basically have just three problems:




a) How many similar triangles can you find in the figure below?



b) Use part a) to prove the Pythagorean Theorem (note: to prove something you do need to use variables).




c) Find the lengths of the 3 unknown line segments (the altitude of the biggest triangle and the two smaller segments that comprise line C).




triangle problem



Angle ABC and BDC are both 90 degrees, so triangle ABC is a right triangle.



I'm guessing the two smaller segments are AD and DC, and the altitude is BD.



As far as I can tell, there are two similar triangles, as both triangles ABD and CBD have 30-60-90 angles, and since they have the same angles they are similar.




The second problem confuses me; I know by fact that $a^2+b^2=c^2$, but I don't know how to prove it, much less "use variables".



And the third problem, I assume that since there are no number values I have to find the lengths of the segments in relation to a, b, or c. In this case, CD is $\frac1{2b}$ and BD is $\frac1{2a}$ based on the 30-60-90 triangle theorem, but I don't know what AD is.



Please correct anything that I'm wrong in and lead me to the answer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...