Saturday 10 August 2019

group theory - Commutative Matrix Multiplication of Invertible Matrices

I know that in general, the only matrices that are multiplicatively commutative are those that are scalar multiples of $I$, the identity matrix.



But what about matrices that are multiplicatively commutative with only invertible matrices? Is it any different? I don't think so, but I'm not certain, and am struggling to prove it.



Simply, with $A$ and $B$ both being $n\times n$ matrices over the reals, what are all $A$ such that $AB = BA$ if $B$ is invertible?




I suppose in group theory this could be phrased as the centre of the general linear group over the reals - $S(GL_n(\mathbb{R}))$.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...