Thursday 1 August 2019

soft question - Reference for Engineering Mathematics

I am a graduate Engineer looking to qualify a post graduate entrance examination (for Master's degree) where I have 'Engineering Mathematics' as one of my Subjects.I hereby paste my course syllabus:



ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS



Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigen vectors.



Calculus: Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems.



Differential equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear

differential equations with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one dimensional heat and wave equations and Laplace equation.



Complex variables: Analytic functions, Cauchy’s integral theorem, Taylor and Laurent series.



Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional
probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson,Normal and Binomial distributions.



Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule, single and multi-step methods for differential
equations.




Hence, I am actually looking for some standard textbooks to cover up the syllabus very well.I would actually prefer to refer to some proper textbooks for each of the portions separately instead of following a general textbook covering up all the topics.



I went through 'Advanced Engineering Mathematics' by Erwin Kreszig and also the book with the exact same title by Michael Greeberg.To be honest I found both of them quite satisfactory but not thrilling to learn the subject with a solid foundation and in depth understanding that would make me feel comfortable enough.I am precisely looking for books that would be quite easy to follow as some self teaching guides yet complete with regards to both the content and concepts.Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...