Wednesday 21 August 2019

real analysis - Proof that $lim_{x to 0} frac{sin(x) - x}{x^2} = 0$ (Without L'Hospital)




I was studying calculus and I got stuck in proving that





$$\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin(x) - x}{x^2} = 0.$$




Using L'Hospital is easy. However, I want a proof where I don't use L'Hospital.



Help?


Answer



Since $\frac{\sin x-x}{x^2}$ is an odd function, it suffices to show that the right-limit converges to $0$. In this answer, we only use the following fact:




$$ \forall x \in (0, \pi/2), \quad \sin x \leq x \leq \tan x. $$



This inequality appears in the standard proof of $\frac{\sin x}{x} \to 1$ as $x \to 0$ in many calculus textbook, so I will skip the proof. And indeed, once we have this inequality, then $\frac{1}{\cos x} \leq \frac{\sin x}{x} \leq 1$ and letting $x \to 0$ together with the squeezing theorem gives $\frac{\sin x}{x} \to 1$.



Next, for $x \in (0, \pi/2)$,



$$ \frac{\sin x - \tan x}{x^2} \leq \frac{\sin x - x}{x^2} \leq 0. $$



But since $ \sin x - \tan x = \tan x(\cos x - 1) = - \frac{\tan x \sin^2 x}{1+\cos x} $ and $\frac{\sin x}{x} \to 1$ as $x\to 0$, we have




$$ \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\sin x - \tan x}{x^2} = - \lim_{x \to 0} \frac{\tan x}{1+\cos x}\left(\frac{\sin x}{x}\right)^2 = 0. $$



So, by the squeezing theorem,



$$ \lim_{x\to0^+} \frac{\sin x - x}{x^2} = 0. $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...