Sunday 23 June 2019

calculus - Evaluating $int_0^infty frac {cos {pi x}} {e^{2pi sqrt x} - 1} mathrm d x$



I am trying to show that$$\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \frac {\cos {\pi x}} {e^{2\pi \sqrt x} - 1} \mathrm d x = \dfrac {2 - \sqrt 2} {8}$$



I have verified this numerically on Mathematica.




I have tried substituting $u=2\pi\sqrt x$ then using the cosine Maclaurin series and then the $\zeta \left({s}\right) \Gamma \left({s}\right)$ integral formula but this doesn't work because interchanging the sum and the integral isn't valid, and results in a divergent series.



I am guessing it is easy with complex analysis, but I am looking for an elementary way if possible.


Answer



This integral is one of Ramanujan's in his Collected Papers where he also shows the connection with the sin case.



Define $$\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\cos(\frac{a\pi x}{b})}{e^{2\pi \sqrt{x}}-1}dx$$



If a and b are both odd. In this case, they are both a=b=1.




Then, $$\displaystyle \frac{1}{4}\sum_{k=1}^{b}(b-2k)\cos\left(\frac{k^{2}\pi a}{b}\right)-\frac{b}{4a}\sqrt{b/a}\sum_{k=1}^{a}(a-2k)\sin\left(\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{k^{2}\pi b}{a}\right)$$



letting a=b=1 results in your posted solution.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...