Wednesday 5 June 2019

Limits of sequences connected with real and complex exponential

Let us denote $S_{n}(x)=1+\frac{x}{1 !}+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+ ... + \frac{x^{n}}{n!}$.





  1. How could be calculated the limit
    $$L(x)=\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{S_{n}(n x)}{e^{n x}}=\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{1+\frac{nx}{1 !}+\frac{(nx)^{2}}{2!}+ ... + \frac{(nx)^{n}}{n!}}{e^{n x}}, x\ge 0,\,\,\,\ ?$$


  2. Similar question, when $x\ge 0$ above is replaced by $z\in \mathbb{C}$ ?


  3. More general, if $r_{n}$ is a sequence of real numbers with $r^{n}\searrow 1$, what are the limits $\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{S_{n}(n r_{n}x)}{e^{n x}}$ for $x\ge 0$ and $\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{S_{n}(n r_{n}z)}{e^{n z}}$ for $z\in \mathbb{C}$ ? (Are they equal with the limits from the above points 1) and 2) ?




Initially, my intuition told me that probably that the limit $L(x)$ is equal to one, for any $x\ge 0$. But thinking better, my opinion is that the limit $L(x)=0$, for all $x\ge 0$. In support to this guess, for example, for $x=1$ I have calculated $\frac{S_{n}(n)}{e^{n}}$ for several consecutive values of $n$ and it appeared to me that it forms a decreasing sequence. In the general case, I have tried to use the Stolz-Cesaro lemma to the ratios $\frac{S_{n}(nx)}{e^{n x}}$ and $\frac{e^{nx}}{S_{n}(nx)}$, but it did not work. Also, I have tried to estimate $|S_{n}(nx)-e^{nx}|$ by using the Lagrange form of the remainder for Taylor series, but again I was not able to get any conclusion.In the complex case, the situation seems to be more intricated. Indeed, for $z=i$, we get $$\frac{S_{n}(n i)}{e^{n i}}=\frac{S^{(cos)}_{n}(n)+iS^{(sin)}_{n}(n)}{cos(n)+isin(n)},$$ where $S^{(cos)}_{n}$ and $S^{(sin)}_{n}$ represents the partial sums of order $n$ from the series development of cosine and sine functions. The limit with $n\to \infty$ in this case looks more tricky, as do not exist the limits $\lim_{n\to \infty}cos(n)$ and $\lim_{n\to \infty}sin(n)$.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...