Tuesday 31 March 2015

can a number of the form $x^2 + 1 $ be a square number?




I have been trying to prove that $x^2 + 1 $ is not a perfect square (other than $0^2 +1^2=1^2$). I'm stuck and can't move forward.



The thing I have tried so is to relate the problem to a hyperbola and find an integer solution for both $x$ and $y$ when $a=b=1$. The pell's equation came up in my search, but I don't understand it fully.






Note: I was in a confused state and @CoolHandLouis' visual answer cleared my muddled mind, so I selected that answer. In that way, his answer was very helpful to me. @Alessandro's proof is clear to me now and if I could accept two answers, I would accepted that one too. Thanks to everyone for helping!


Answer



We want to prove $x^2 + 1$ can never be a perfect square.




Let




  • $f(x) = x^2$



    Then,



    $f(x)$     $<$     $f(x) + 1$     $<$     $f(x+1)$



    $x^2$         $<$        $x^2 + 1$     $<$      $x^2 + 2x + 1$        (for all $x > 0$).





Therefore, $x^2 + 1$ cannot be a perfect square (except $x = 0$) because it will always be greater than the prior perfect square and less than the next perfect square.



The following table illustrates this. Note that $f(x)$ is the set of all perfect squares:




x f(x)=x^2 x^2+1 f(x+1)
0 0 1 1
1 1 2 4

2 4 5 9
3 9 10 16
4 16 17 25

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...