Wednesday 4 April 2018

complex analysis - Proof of identity principle for power series



enter image description hereFormer: I want to proof that a convergent power series in $B_r(0)$ has only coefficents that are equal to zero (identity priniciple for power series).
Let's write the power series as $P(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n z^{n}$.
I read in some book that I can write the coefficents like that:
\begin{align*}
a_n = \frac{P^{(n)}(0) }{n!} \, ,

\end{align*}
but I'm not sure why. Anyway then I get
\begin{align*}
P(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{P^{(n)}(0) }{n!} z^{n} = \exp(z) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}P^{(n)}(0) \overset{?}= 0
\end{align*}
Maybe I'm on the wrong way. Can somebody give me a hint how to start?



Edit: I want to proof that a convergent power series that is constant zero can only have zero coefficents. Still I can write: $P(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n z^{n} \equiv 0 $ and now I have
\begin{align*}
0 \equiv \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n z^{n}

\end{align*}


Answer



The following result is standard: suppose that $P(z)$ converges for some $z_0 \neq 0$. Let $r = |z_0|$. Then $P(z)$ converges for all $z$ in the open ball $B$ centered at $0$ with radius $r$, uniformly on compact sets. In particular, $P(z)$ is a continuous function on $B$.



Now, suppose not all the coefficients $a_n$ are zero. Choose $a_n \neq 0$ with $n$ minimal. Then



$$P(z) = z^n(a_n + a_{n+1}z + \cdots)$$



for all $z \in B$. For the same reason as above, $g(z) = a_n + a_{n+1}z + \cdots$ is continuous on $B$, with $g(0) \neq 0$. So there is a punctured neighborhood of $0$ in which $g(z)$, and hence $P(z)$, is not zero.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...