Tuesday 1 May 2018

abstract algebra - Representing Elementary Functions in a CAS




I've looked through several books about computer algebra. They are surprisingly scarce about how to actually represent elementary functions.



Basically, as far as I understood elementary functions are roughly



$$\textbf{Quot}\left(\mathbb K[x, \exp x, \exp x^2 \log x, \ldots] \right)$$



that is rational functions over field $\mathbb K$, with variables (or kernels) $x$, $\exp x$, $\exp x^2$, $\log x$ and so on. Other function can be added.



However it doesn't seem possible to have a finite set of kernels to represent what is meant by elementary functions. For example it should contain all kernels of the form $\exp x^n$ or $\exp \exp \ldots \exp x$. And no way you can just enumerate an infinite set within a CAS.




Apparently the algebraic treatment of elementary functions lacks the notion of composition of functions.



How is composition introduced?



What is the algebraic treatment of elementary functions that can be fed to a computer?


Answer



I've resolved the issue and my concerns in the FriCAS mailing list. I just thought one cannot define two types that would refer to each other, but I was wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...