Thursday 3 May 2018

Numbers of the form $abc,abc$



Can you please provide hints? A 6 digit number can be written by repeating a three digit number, such as 359, 359. What is the greatest integer which divides any such 6 digit number? I can see that the number is not guaranteed to be divisible by 2 or by 3, so the answer will not be a multiple of 2, 3, or 6. However, I do not see where to go from here (by the way please do not use modular arithmetic in your answer).


Answer



Let $x$ be some three digit number. We have:



$$ 1000x + x $$
$$ 1001x $$




Now you know that $x$ may be any number, so it doesn't necessarily have any other common factors. (Consider any two prime numbers.) Our answer is $1001$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...