Monday 14 May 2018

big list - $2=1$ Paradoxes repository

I really like to use paradoxes in my math classes, in order to awaken the interest of my students. Concretely, these last weeks I am proposing paradoxes that achieve the conclusion that 2=1. After one week, I explain the solution in the blackboard and I propose a new one. For example, I posted the following one some months ago: What is wrong with the sum of these two series?
I would like to increase my repertoire of fake-proofs. I would be glad to read your proposals and discuss them! My students are 18 years old, so don't be too cruel :) Here is my own contribution:



\begin{equation}
y(x) = \tan x
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}
y^{\prime} = \frac{1}{\cos^{2} x}
\end{equation}

\begin{equation}
y^{\prime \prime} = \frac{2 \sin x}{\cos^{3} x}
\end{equation}
This can be rewritten as:
\begin{equation}
y^{\prime \prime} = \frac{2 \sin x}{\cos^{3} x} = \frac{2 \sin x}{\cos x \cdot \cos^{2} x} = 2 \tan x \cdot \frac{1}{\cos^{2} x} = 2yy^{\prime} = \left( y^{2} \right)^{\prime}
\end{equation}
Integrating both sides of the equation $y^{\prime \prime} = \left( y^{2} \right)^{\prime}$:
\begin{equation}
y^{\prime} = y^{2}

\end{equation}
And therefore
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{\cos^{2} x} = \tan^{2} x
\end{equation}
Now, evalueting this equation at $x = \pi / 4$
\begin{equation}
\frac{1}{(\sqrt{2}/2)^{2}} = 1^{2}
\end{equation}
\begin{equation}

2 = 1
\end{equation}

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...