Thursday 10 January 2019

algebra precalculus - Finding the square root of $6-4sqrt{2}$

I found this standupmaths video on YouTube about the A4 paper puzzle.



I really liked the puzzle and managed to get the answer by using a calculator. However, the answer (which I won't spoil), led me to think that the equation to solve it might simplify - which it does.




In the middle of the simplification, I got this expression:



$$\sqrt{6-4\sqrt{2}}$$



which for other reasons I suspected to be equal to:



$$\ 2-\sqrt{2}$$



I tried squaring the above and, sure enough, it does give:




$$6-4\sqrt{2}$$



My question is, how would I have been able to find the square root of



$$6-4\sqrt{2}$$



if I hadn't been able to guess at it? Is there a standard technique? I've tried looking on the web but don't really even know what to search for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...