Wednesday 16 January 2019

calculus - What is the correct approach for $intfrac{x^{4}+1}{x^{6}+1}dx$?



I was looking for tricky integrals to give something more challenging a try, and I stumbled upon [this] (Ignoring the definite part since I'm just interested in solving the integral):



$$\int\frac{x^{4}+1}{x^{6}+1}dx$$



My first reaction was to try substituting $[t=x^{2}; \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}]$, and everything went off the rails from there:




$$\int\frac{t^2}{t^3+1}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}dt+\int\frac{1}{t^3+1}\frac{1}{2\sqrt{t}}dt$$



after that I tried getting $3t^2$ in the first integral, but it's pointless since it's a product and not an addition. I have also tried integration by parts, but I get things like $-\frac{2}{(2\sqrt{t})^3}$, which make everything way worse than it was before. There are no trigonometric identities involved, and I'm not sure I can apply rational integration since $x^6+1$ doesn't actually have any roots as far as I know. I have also tried other substitutions, like $[t=x^3]$, but I haven't been able to go further with those.



I'm totally out of ideas, I've checked all the books I have available for clues or methods I could have missed, but I didn't find a thing.



What am I missing? There is obviously an approach I have missed, I really don't think that substitution was the way to go. Any clues about what method to use? (I'm not looking for the solution)


Answer



As $\displaystyle x^6+1=(x^2+1)(x^4-x^2+1)$




and $x^4-x^2+1=(x^2+1)^2-3x^2=(x^2+1-\sqrt3x)(x^2+1+\sqrt3x)$



Using
Partial Fraction Decomposition,



we can write $$\frac{x^4+1}{x^6+1}=\frac{Ax+B}{x^2+1}+\frac{Cx+D}{x^2-\sqrt3x+1}+\frac{Ex+F}{x^2+\sqrt3x+1}$$ where $A,B,C,D,E,F$ are arbitrary constants



Now multiply either sides by $x^6+1$ and compare the coefficients of the different powers of $x$ to find $A,B,C,D,E,F$



Again as $x^2-\sqrt3x+1=\left(x-\frac{\sqrt3}2\right)^2+\left(\frac12\right)^2$




using Trigonometric substitution, set $x-\frac{\sqrt3}2=\frac12\tan\phi$



Similarly for $x^2+\sqrt3x+1$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...