Friday 25 January 2019

sequences and series - How to replace addition with multiplication to find the next integer value?



Sorry in advance for my lack of mathematical knowledge, I am very new to it.






Yesterday, I posed this question to myself:




"In a world without addition or subtraction, how could we derive the next value in the sequence of natural numbers from $1\to\infty$ with a step size of $1$?"



This lead me to the idea of multiplication to find the next value in a sequence. After analyzing the multipliers between each natural value using:
$$
\frac{(n+1)}{n}
$$



I noticed the pattern of this sequence starts at the high values of $2$ and $1.5$, then converges to a value of $1$.







My two questions:




  • Is it right to assume that the sequence of multipliers should have a more predictable sequence?

  • Are there more elegant ways of producing the next natural number without addition or subtraction?


Answer



With the function $2^n$ and it's inverse, $\log_2$ available,
$n+1=\log_2(2\cdot2^n)$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...