Saturday 26 January 2019

elementary set theory - existence of injection from countable sets to u countable sets



While reading the section on countability from Ralph Boa's book 'A Primer on real functions', I came across this sentence 'While those sets cannot be counted can be thought of 'bigger' than those that can be counted. This made me wonder if the following is true 'For any countable set A and an u countable set B, does there exist an injection from A to B?




Now my above conjecture obviously reduces to commenting on existence of injection from $\mathbb{N}$ to $B$(as defined above ), as any countable set has a bijection with the set of natural numbers . Now I am unable to proceed.
Please help.Thanks.


Answer



We define $f\colon \Bbb N\to B$ by recursion - and a bit of choice:



Let $n\in\Bbb N$. Assume we have already defined $f(k)$ for all $k\in\Bbb N$ and $k

In the end, this defines an injective map $f\colon \Bbb N\to B$. (This map is certainly not surjective as $B$ was assumed uncountable)


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...