Saturday 12 January 2019

calculus - Evaluate the series $sum_{n=0}^{infty} frac{n^2-1}{n!}frac{x^n}{n-1}$



I would like to show that the following sum converges $\forall x \in \mathbb{R}$ as well as calculate the sum:




$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{n^2-1}{n!}\frac{x^n}{n-1}$




First for the coefficient:




$\frac{n^2-1}{n!(n-1)}=\frac{n+1}{n!}$



Then, what I did was to try and formulate this series to a series which I know:



$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{n^2-1}{n!}\frac{x^n}{n-1}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left( \frac{n+1}{n!} \right)x^n=\cdots = \frac{1}{x} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(n+1)^2 x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}$



I have ended up with this formula, which reminds me somehow the expansion of the exponential $e^x$



$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}=e^x$




but I cannot see how the term $(n+1)^2$ affects the result.



Thanks.


Answer



One should instead notice that



$$\frac{n+1}{n!}=\frac n{n!}+\frac1{n!}=\frac1{(n-1)!}+\frac1{n!}$$



And then we get the well-known series expansion for $e^x$.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...