Sunday 22 September 2019

sequences and series - Infinite sum of positive integers and why an integral test doesn't disprove it

Problem



I first came across this statement

$\sum_{n=1}^\infty n = -\frac{1}{12}$ a couple of years ago.



Why does an integral test for convergance not disprove this.
That is, with an integral of
$$\int_0^\infty x dx$$



I see the integral test requires a monotonically decreasing function and this will be why you can't use it for the infinte sum of positive integers.
I fail to understand why this function requires a decreasing function. Perhaps this is beyond the scope of what I'm trying to understand.



Context




I saw a video challenging the viewer to solve the Balancing bricks problem and I proceeded to solve it to the point of the Sum of the harmonic series which I looked up information.



I saw the integral test as a way to show this series also had an infinite sum as demonstrated in the Harmonic Series Wikipedia Article. This immediately reminded me about that ol' friend $\sum_{n=1}^\infty n = -\frac{1}{12}$ and I was lead to wonder why that integral test couldn't be applied. Cue much internet searching and now this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...