If you have a unit circle and the Pythagorean theorem, how do you discover that $\sin(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{\sqrt3}{2}$? Finding the $1, 1, \sqrt2$ triangle seems more obvious. Do you consult a chart of previously-found Pythagorean triples and scale them to a unit hypotenuse? Do you have some reason (and, if so, what?) for wanting to know the sine whose cosine $=\frac{1}{2}$ and get lucky with a neat (as long as you don't mind surds) value? Do you use lengthy trial and error (historically, over centuries)? Or is there some other pre-calculus method than Pythagoras?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
How can one proof the equality $$\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{k^v}{v!}=\sum\limits_{v=0}^k \frac{v^v (k-v)^{k-v}}{v!(k-v)!}$$ for $k\in\mathbb{...
-
How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...
-
If you think about the limit definition of the derivative, $dy$ represents $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\dfrac {f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$, and $dx...
No comments:
Post a Comment