Friday 10 August 2018

Proving with induction $(1-x)^n




Prove using induction that $\forall n\in\mathbb N, \forall x\in \mathbb R: 0



My attempt:




Base: for $n=1: 1-x<\frac 1 {1+x}\iff 1-x^2<1$, true since $0

Suppose the statement is true for $n$, prove for $n+1$:



$(1-x)^{n+1}=(1-x)(1-x)^{n}\overset{i.h}<\frac{(1-x)}{1+nx}$



Now I got stuck, maybe another induction to show that $1+nx+x<1+nx$? Is there another way?



Moreover, I was told it's wrong to begin with $(1-x)^{n+1}$ and reach to $\frac 1 {1+(n+1)x}$ but why? Is it assuming what I need to prove?



Answer



Apply again the base case: $1-x<\displaystyle\frac1{1+x}$ and that $x^2>0$ to get



$$\frac{1-x}{1+nx} < \frac1{(1+nx)(1+x)}=\frac1{1+(n+1)x+nx^2}<\frac1{1+(n+1)x}\,.$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...