Tuesday 31 December 2013

calculus - How to evaluate the limit $lim_{x to infty}left(left(x+frac{1}{x}right)arctan(x)-frac{pi}{2}xright)$?




$$\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\left(\left(x+\frac{1}{x}\right)\arctan(x)-\frac{\pi}{2}x\right)$$




From graphs, I know that the limit is exactly $-1$ (this function limit is "$b$" from $f(x)=ax+b$, where $f(x)$ is asymptote of another function).




I managed to get to a point, by using l'Hospital rule, where my limit equals 0. I've checked calculations few times, and can't find, where the mistake is.



Could you please show me steps, how to evaluate this limit?


Answer



Since
$$\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\frac{\arctan(x)}{x}=0$$
and
$$\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\left(\arctan(x)-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=0$$




you have
$$\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\left(\left(x+\frac{1}{x}\right)\arctan(x)-\frac{\pi}{2}x\right)$$
$$=\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\left(x\arctan(x)-\frac{\pi}{2}x\right)$$
$$=\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\left(x \left(\arctan(x)-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right)$$
$$=\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\frac{\arctan(x)-\frac{\pi}{2}}{1/x}$$
which has the indeterminate form $0/0.$ Now use l'Hospital
$$=\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\frac{1/(1+x^2)}{-1/x^2}$$
$$=\lim\limits_{x \to \infty}\frac{-x^2}{1+x^2}=-1$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...