Saturday 28 December 2013

complex analysis - Analytic continuation commuting with series



Suppose $f_1,f_2,...$ are entire functions, and there is an open subset $U \subseteq \mathbb{C}$ such that the series $F(z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} f_n(z)$ converges normally on $U$. Also suppose that $F$ can be analytically continued to an entire function.



I have a situation where all $f_n$ vanish at some point $z_0$, but unfortunately $z_0 \notin U.$ Can we still say that $F(z_0) = 0$?



I would guess not, since it feels like bending the rules of analytic continuation in a way that shouldn't be allowed. But I didn't think of a counterexample.


Answer



The answer is NO.




Example. Let $U$ be the unit disk, and
$$
f_n(z)=(1-z)z^n.
$$
Then $F(z)=\sum f_n(z)=z$, and while $f_n(1)=0$, we have that $F(1)=1$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...