Friday 27 December 2013

complex analysis - How to show that the entire function $f(z) = z^2 + cos{z}$ has range all of $mathbb{C}$?



I have been thinking about the following exercise from an old complex analysis qualifier exam for some days but I still don't know how to solve it. The problem is as follows:




Show that the entire function $f(z) := z^2 + \cos{z}$ has range all of $\mathbb{C}$.





At first I thought that maybe I could use Picard's Little Theorem to get a contradiction. I thought that maybe by considering the function $e^{f(z)}$ I could get the contradiction by asssuming that $f(z)$ misses one point so that the exponential would miss two points and that would contradict Picard's Little Theorem, but since the exponential is periodic this argument doesn't work.




So my question is how can this be proved?




Thank you very much for any help.


Answer



I believe a similar proof as in the question What is the image near the essential singularity of z sin(1/z)? would work here too.




The function $g(z) = z + \cos (\sqrt{z})$ is of order $\frac{1}{2}$ (someone should verify that...) and so does not miss any points by Picard's first theorem (the link is a google books link).


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...