Sunday 22 December 2013

real analysis - Direct proof that if p is prime, then $ sqrt{p} $ is irrational.




Does anyone know of a simple direct proof that if p is prime, then $\sqrt{p}$ is irrational?




I have always seen this proved by contradiction and have been trying unsuccessfully to prove it constructively. I searched this site and could not find the question answered without using contradiction.


Answer



Maybe an elementary proof that I gave in a more general context, but I can't find it on the site, so I'll adapt it to this case.



Set $n=\lfloor \sqrt p\rfloor$. Suppose $\sqrt p$ is rational and let $m$ be the smallest positive integer such that $m\sqrt p$ is an integer. Consider $m'=m(\sqrt p-n)$; it is an integer, and
$$ m'\sqrt p=m(\sqrt p-n)\sqrt p=mp-nm\sqrt p $$
is an integer too.



However, since $0\le \sqrt p-n <1$, we have $0\le m' smallest positive integer such that $ m\sqrt p$ is an integer, it implies $m'=0$, which means $\sqrt p=n$, hence $p=n^2$, which contradicts $p$ being prime.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...