Saturday 14 December 2013

real analysis - Series of functions to ln



I have the following exercise:




on $[1/2,1]$ study convergence of the derivative of $\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{1}{i}(\frac{x-1}{x})^i$



and show that $\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{i-1}}{i}$$=ln2$



I already studied convergence of the series $\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{1}{i}(\frac{x-1}{x})^i$ and proved that it converges uniformly on every compact of $[1/2,1]$ but I dont know the sum of the series(the sum function), also, I cant see how $ln$ appear in the derivative


Answer



Ok I found it, the derivative of the series is equal to $\frac{1}{x²}$$\sum_{i=0}^\infty (\frac{x-1}{x})^{i-1}$ since $(\frac{x-1}{x})^{i-1}$ is in absolute less than 1, it converges (to $x$) and the whole derivative converges to $\frac{1}{x}$.



Since the derivative converges uniformly on the domain, we can take the integral and it should give us an equality with our series, but the integral is $ln(x)$.. we evaluate in $1/2$ and we get $ln2$ equals what we were looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...