Wednesday 29 October 2014

abstract algebra - Linear independence over $mathbb Q$ and $mathbb R$ of subsets of $2^{mathbb N}$



I have the following doubt:




Suppose $f_1,\ldots,f_n\in 2^{\mathbb N}$ are such that $\{f_1,\ldots,f_n\}$ is linearly independent in the $\mathbb Q$-vector space $\mathbb{Q^N}$. Does this set remain linearly independent in the $\mathbb R$-vector space $\mathbb{R^N}$?





Here $2=\{0,1\}$. I would like hints, not full answers.



Thanks






Edit: I have shown that if there is some $I\subseteq\Bbb N$ such that $f_1\upharpoonright I,\ldots,f_n\upharpoonright I$ is linearly independent over $\Bbb Q$ with $|I|\geq n$,then we are done, however I can't see why such $I$ should exist.


Answer




Suppose $\lambda_1 f_1 + \cdots + \lambda_n f_n = 0$, where $\lambda_1,\dots,\lambda_n\in\mathbb{R}$. Try picking a basis for the $\mathbb{Q}$-vector space spanned by $\lambda_1,\dots,\lambda_n$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...