Wednesday 29 October 2014

soft question - What would be an effective way to learn group theory on my own?



I've read the basics of this branch and I found it extremely interesing, and I would really love to learn more about it.



I want to study as much as I can on my own, as my course doesn't have group theory, unfortunately.




What would be a good (ground-up level) introductory book, and then a mid-level group theory book?



Thanks so much in advance.



E: I'm taking a number theory course at the moment. I haven't taken any other math courses yet, although I've some studied calculus, real analysis and linear algebra on my own.


Answer



In my opinion, Artin's is a pretty decent introductory text; I learned the very basics of abstract algebra predominantly from that book. The first chapter focuses on matrices, which was actually very good for me because my linear algebra course had focused on the abstract picture of linear algebra, and spent very little time with matrices. Artin does have a few linguistic oddities; off the top of my head, the use of the phrase "law of composition" for a binary operation, "Group operations" instead of group actions. Overall, though, I'd say it's a good comprehensive text to get you started.



For a text that has more meat to it, but is still well grounded for the beginner, I'd go for Dummit and Foote. If you're feeling ambitious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...