Thursday 25 February 2016

calculus - Trouble with trigonometric limits without derivatives



I am trying to find the following 2 limits as part of a series of 4 exercises following out lectures. We haven't really learned derivatives yet, so I can't just slap L'Hospital and be done with it.



The first two I could solve with Taylor Expansions, but I still need to solve:



$$\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{e^x -\sin x -1}{x^2}$$
Taylor Expansion of sin didn't work here, and I don't know how to deal with the $e^x$.



$$\lim_{x\to 0} \frac{x\sin x}{\cos x -1}$$

Given $-\sin^2 x = \cos^2 x -1$ I tried multiplying by $\frac{\cos x +1}{\cos x +1}$, which lead me to $\frac{-x\cos x \ -x}{\sin x}$ and then I don't know what else to do. (SOLVED) I suppose I could simplify this to $-x\cot x - \frac{x}{\sin x}$, which leads to -2.


Answer



You have



$$e^x=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}(1+\epsilon_1(x))$$



and



$$\sin(x)=x+x^2\epsilon_2(x)$$




cause $x\mapsto \sin(x)$ is odd.



then the limit is $$\frac{1}{2}$$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...