Sunday 28 February 2016

linear algebra - Can two matrices with the same characteristic polynomial have different eigenvalues?



The polynomial is $-\lambda^3+3\lambda -2$




which factorizes into ($\lambda-1$)($\lambda +1$)($\lambda -2$)



A matrix A has the above characteristic polynomial, and so its eigenvalues are 1, -1, and 2.



However, another matrix B, already in diagonal form, has the same characteristic polynomial, but with eigenvalues 1,1,-2, i.e., diagonal entries 1,1,-2.



Is this possible? Or have I gone wrong in my computations?



The problem statement does ask to show that the characteristic polynomials are the same but that the matrices A and B are not similar. So, perhaps I have found exactly what I needed, but it just seems weird...




Thanks,


Answer



$-\lambda^3+3\lambda - 2 = -(\lambda-1)^2(\lambda+2) \neq -(\lambda-1)(\lambda+1)(\lambda-2)$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...