Sunday 14 February 2016

exponentiation - Why are exponents not associative?




I ran into something that seemed odd to me today: exponents are not associative. The following equation sums that up:



$$
10 * 2^{5x} \not\equiv 20^{5x}
$$



Why is this the case? Is there some way to combine the "10" and the "2"?



Goal: The reason I ask this question is I am interested in reducing the amount of operations a program will have to perform in order to compute the answer.



Answer



HINT:



$$a^x\cdot b^x= (a\cdot b)^x$$ for positive real $a,b$ and real $x$



but $$a\cdot b^x\ne (a\cdot b)^x$$ in general



In fact if finite $a\cdot b\ne0$, $$a\cdot b^x= (a\cdot b)^x\implies a^{x-1}=1$$



$\displaystyle\implies $ either $a=1,$ or $x-1=0$ or $a=-1,x-1$ is even



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...