Sunday 27 January 2013

algebra precalculus - Find $cos2theta+cos2phi$, given $sintheta + sinphi = a$ and $costheta+cosphi = b$


If

$$\sin\theta + \sin\phi = a \quad\text{and}\quad \cos\theta+\cos\phi = b$$



then find the value of $$\cos2\theta+\cos2\phi$$




My attempt:



Squaring both sides of the second given equation:



$$\cos^2\theta+ \cos^2\phi + 2\cos\theta\cos\phi= b^2$$




Multiplying by 2 and subtracting 2 from both sides we obtain,



$$\cos2\theta+ \cos2\phi = 2b^2-2 - 4\cos\theta\cos\phi$$



How do I continue from here?



PS: I also found the value of $\sin(\theta+\phi)= \dfrac{2ab}{a^2+b^2}$



Edit: I had also tried to use $\cos2\theta + \cos2\phi= \cos(\theta+\phi)\cos(\theta-\phi)$ but that didn't seem to be of much use

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...