Wednesday 2 January 2013

sequences and series - Confused about using alternating test, ratio test, and root test (please help).



So I have to determine if $\sum_2^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{ln(n)}$ absolutely converges, conditionally converges, or diverges.




So first I tried the Alternating Series Test, because that is what you do first (right???). (Also I just started understanding mathjax more, so excuse the formatting).



Alternating Series Test



lim
n-> infinity ($\frac{1}{ln(n)}$) = 0



and it's decreasing as well, so that means its convergent.




One question I have here is if one of these attribute of the
alternating series test fails, does that mean it's divergent or I just can't use the test?



Ratio Test



Now to find if it's absolute convergence or conditional convergence, I did the ratio test, but I got 1. That means I can't use this test.



enter image description here



Root Test




I don't see how I can use the root test here because I just raised everything to the 1/n power and I'm stuck.



What should I do?



I hope someone can clear up my confusions. Thanks.


Answer



It converges conditionally and not absolutely because $\displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^\infty \left|(-1)^n\cdot \dfrac{1}{\ln n}\right| = \displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^\infty \dfrac{1}{\ln n} \geq \displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^\infty \dfrac{1}{n} = \infty$, and you've done the first part that series is convergent by the alternating series test.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...