Wednesday 2 January 2013

calculus - Is there a novel way to integrate this without using complex numbers?



I've been reading a post on Quora about lesser known techniques of integration and I'm just curious if there's also a novel way to integrate this type of integral without resorting to complex analysis.



$$ \int^\infty_0 \frac {\cos (ax)\,dx}{x^2}, a \geq 0 $$


Answer



The given integral is not converging, so I assume you wanted to study:




$$f(a)=\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{1-\cos(ax)}{x^2}\,dx$$
that is an even function, hence we can assume $a\geq 0$ WLOG. Integration by parts then gives:
$$ f(a) = a\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{\sin(ax)}{x}\,dx $$
and by replacing $x$ with $\frac{z}{a}$ we get:
$$ f(a)=a\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{2}\,a $$
leading to:




$$\forall r\in\mathbb{R},\qquad \int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{1-\cos(rx)}{x}\,dx = \frac{\pi}{2}|r|.$$




No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...