Thursday 3 January 2013

galois theory - Degree 4 extension of $mathbb {Q}$ with no intermediate field



I am looking for a degree $4$ extension of $\mathbb {Q}$ with no intermediate field. I know such extension is not Galois (equivalently not normal). So I was trying to adjoin a root of an irreducible quartic. But I got stuck. Any hint/idea/solution?


Answer



With regard to Sebastian Schoennenbeck's comment, an extension of $\mathbb{Q}$ with Galois group $A_4$ (alternating group on 4 points) will do the trick.
Such an extension certainly exists, in fact all alternating groups are Galois groups over $\mathbb{Q}$.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...