Sunday 3 September 2017

complex analysis - $int_0^{2pi} log|1-ae^{itheta}|dtheta=0$ when $|a| = 1$

I'm taking a course on complex analysis, and I've been working on this problem forever, but can't seem to figure out. The question asks you to show the following:




$\int_0^{2\pi} \log|1-ae^{i\theta}| \; \mathrm d\theta=0$



when $|a|<1$. I was able to do this by showing that $\int_0^{2\pi} \log(1-ae^{i\theta})\; \mathrm d\theta=0$ by substituting $z=e^{i\theta}$ and then calculating the residue of $\frac{\log(1-az)}{zi}$ at the origin to be zero.



However, the question further asks you to show the same equation holds when $|a|=1$. Can someone help me with this? Thank you in advance.






My attempt at solution ->




Define $F(a) = \int_0^{2\pi} \log(1-ae^{i\theta})\; \mathrm d\theta$



Then, it can be shown that $F(a)$ is holomorphic in $|a|<1$. Given that $F(a)=0$ on the entire $|a|<1$, we can say that limit of $F(a)$ is $0$ when $|a|$ approaches 1.



Therefore, since $F(a)$ is holomorphic in $|a|<1$ and converges uniformly to $0$ as $|a|$ approaches $1$, we can extend $F(a)$ to the boundary $|a|=1$ ((Is this true? Or in general, when can you "continuously extend" a holomorphic function defined on an open set to the boundary of the open set?))



Thus, we have a function $F(a)$ that takes on the value $0$ for $|a|<=1$. Since $\int_0^{2\pi} \log|1-ae^{i\theta}|\; \mathrm d\theta $ is the real part of $\int_0^{2\pi} \log(1-ae^{i\theta})\; \mathrm d\theta $, it follows that $\int_0^{2\pi} \log|1-ae^{i\theta}|\; \mathrm d\theta=0 $ for $|a| = 1$ as well.



Could you let me know if the steps are correct? I'm very iffy about the "continuous extension" that I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...