Wednesday 13 September 2017

number theory - Prove that there are no integers $x,y$ such that $x^2+y^2=7,000,000$.



Prove there are no integers $x,\,y$ such that $x^2+y^2=7,000,000$. (Hint: $\pmod7$)



I'm a little stuck on this problem. I'm assuming the hint is to arrange the problem as $x^2+y^2\equiv0\pmod7$, but I can't find anything that will let me proceed from there. I'm considering a proof by contradiction where I would assume there are such integers, come to a contradiction after a little hand waving and conclude that there are no such integers. I've been searching online and reading through my textbook but I can't seem to find anything useful.
If you know of any modulo theorems that would get me rolling here, that would be fantastic.


Answer




You can list the squares mod 7 -- you just need to check what $0^2$, $1^2$, $2^2$, and $3^2$ are (since $4^2 \equiv (-3)^2 = 3^2$, etc.). Then you can check what combinations of them add up to $0$. Proceed from there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...