Thursday 14 September 2017

sequences and series - How to find the sum of a geometric progression involving cos using complex numbers?

Use $ 2\cos{n\theta} = z^n + z^{-n} $ to express $\cos\theta + \cos3\theta + \cos5\theta + ... + \cos(2n-1)\theta $ as a geometric progression in terms of $z$. Hence find the sum of this progression in terms of $\theta$. Any tips/help would be appreciated. I have the common ratio as $z^2$ and the first term as $z^{1-2n},$ and I can put these into the original formula, but I can't seem to get the answer I'm looking for.



z= $\cos\theta + i\sin\theta$ where i is the imaginary unit

No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...