Monday 25 September 2017

sequences and series - How to calculate $sum_{k=1}^{infty}x^{k^2}$ for different $x$



This is quick question, hopefully. How can I evaluate $f(x) = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}x^{k^2}$? Some power series can easily be reduced to a geometric series, taylor series etc. via term wise integration/differentiation. I want to find an expression for $f(x)$ not involving series, to be able to calculate the exact value for the sum for different $x\in (-1,1)$. I've already shown that the radius of convergence is 1, and the series looks kind of like the regular geometric series. I've tried to do some term wise integration/differentiation, which however turned out to not work very well. Perhaps this is easy, but it has been a while since I was doing these kind of problems.




Cheers!


Answer



$\displaystyle \sum_{k = 1}^{\infty}x^{k^{2}} =
-\,{1 \over 2} + {1 \over 2}\sum_{k = -\infty}^{\infty}x^{k^{2}} =
\bbox[8px,border:1px groove navy]{{\vartheta_{3}\left(0,x\right) - 1 \over 2}}$
where $\displaystyle\vartheta_{\nu}$ is a Jacobi Theta Function.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...