Thursday 21 December 2017

abstract algebra - Show that $4x^2+6x+3$ is a unit in $mathbb{Z}_8[x]$.



Show that $4x^2+6x+3$ is a unit in $\mathbb{Z}_8[x]$.



Once you have found the inverse like here, the verification is trivial. But how do you come up with such an inverse. Do I just try with general polynomials of all degrees and see what restrictions RHS = $1$ imposes on the coefficients until I get lucky? Also is there a general method to show an element in a ring is a unit?


Answer



If $R$ is a commutative ring: the units in $R[x]$ are the polynomials whose constant term is a unit, and whose higher order coefficients are nilpotent. You can apply this directly to your example.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...