Wednesday 27 December 2017

limits - Does $limlimits_{xto0}operatorname{sgn} (x)$ exist?



I have a problem with this exercise



Does this limit exist?




$$\lim\limits_{x\to0} \operatorname{sgn} (x)$$



this limit should exist and its value is $0$ according to our textbook. It is also written, that we can prove it by using one-sided limits.
And there is a problem, because as I see it



$$\lim_{x\to0^-} \operatorname{sgn} (x) = -1$$



$$\lim_{x\to0^+} \operatorname{sgn} (x) = 1$$



(Because the limit goes very close to $0$, but it never reaches it. I also think it is very similar to prove of non-existence $\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0} \sin\frac 1 x$)




I also tried online limit calculators and they said, that one-sided limits equals $0$.



Could you help me find a problem in my approach?



Thanks for your time!


Answer



If the book says the limit is $0$, then it is wrong.



If $\lim\limits_{x\to0+}$ and $\lim\limits_{x\to0-}$ both exist (as finite numbers) and are not equal to each other, then $\lim\limits_{x\to0}$ does not exist.




In some contexts, it might make sense to say it exists as a "principal value", taking an average: $\displaystyle \frac 1 2 \left( \lim_{x\to0+} + \lim_{x\to0-} \right),$ but that is not what is conventionally done when the concept of limit is first introduced, and I would allow is only when the context for it has been explicitly set.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...