Sunday 31 December 2017

complex analysis - Where does this bound on polynomial come from?



Suppose that $p(z)$ is a polynomial of degree $k$ with leading coefficient equal to $1$ , moreover assume that all the zeros of p lie in the unit disc, then for z suffieciently large




$$|p(z)| \ge \frac{9|z|^{k}}{10}$$



The poof that was given was ; The result follows immediately from



$$|1/z| \lt \frac{1}{(10k)(max|a_{j}|+1)}$$



But I don't understand where they came up with this from and how it implies the result? Can anyone help me to understand? I am really not sure, I tried to think about maybe radius of convergence.



say we write




$$p(z)=a_{0}+a_{1}z+...+a_{k-1}z^{k-1}+z^{k}$$



$$p(z)=z^{k}(1+a_{k-1}/z+...+a_{0}/z^{k})$$



I thought maybe since we are told that zeros are only in the unit circle, then for z large ie z away from the unit circle and $z=0$ then p(z) is maybe holomorphic and so has a convergent power series?



But I am really not sure and very confused.


Answer



Can you show that for $z$ sufficiently large the inequality below holds?




$$\left(1+\frac{a_{k-1}}{z}+...+\frac{a_{0}}{z^{k}}\right)\geq \frac{9}{10}$$



What happens as $z \to \infty$?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...