Monday 11 December 2017

calculus - Limit of $frac{tan(x)-x}{x^3}$ as $x$ approaches $0$ without L'Hospital's Rule




I am trying to find the limit of $\frac{\tan(x)-x}{x^3}$ as $x$ approaches $0$. I know that this can be found by using L'Hospital's Rule 3 times. Is there a way to solve this problem without using L'Hospital's Rule?




Please do not use Taylor series; I consider this to be an equivalent method. I have noticed that the required number of applications of L'Hospital's Rule is precisely the order of the first non-zero derivative, which I think is essentially because a product is $0$ if and only if at least one factor is $0$.


Answer



you can simplify $$\frac{\tan x - x}{x^3}= \frac{\sin x - x \cos x}{x^3\cos x } = \frac{x - \frac{x^3}{6}+\cdots - x\left(1 - \frac{x^2}2+\cdots\right)}{x^3} = \frac 13 \text{ as } x \to 0. $$


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...