Saturday 30 December 2017

elementary number theory - Find all $x$ such that $11mid 3x+7$



I found this question in Beachy and Blair: Abstract algebra book, they even have a solution to this but its not satisfactory for me. They only say "$x\equiv 5 \pmod{11}$ ". Which one can "feel" simply by trial and error. I would like to know what is the proper approach. Thank you in advance!


Answer



We need $3x+7\equiv 0\pmod{11}$



Add 4 to both sides:




$$3x+11\equiv 4\pmod{11}$$



reduce:



$$3x \equiv 4\pmod{11}$$



multiply both sides by a number to make the coefficient on the left equivalent to $1$. In this case, $4$ works:



$$12x\equiv 16\pmod{11}$$




reduce:



$$x\equiv 5\pmod{11}$$



Does that work for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...