Monday 11 December 2017

calculus - Notation of derivatives...



I asked my teacher the difference between this notations.



(1) $$\frac{dy}{dx}$$

(2) $$\frac{\delta y}{\delta x}$$
(3) $$\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}$$



He told me that there is no difference.



I really don't think he's right...



Question:



I think that (1) and (2) is more like the convention expressing the limit of a fraction. (3) instead really represent de ratio of the increments of y and x




Am I right?


Answer



Typically,




  1. $\displaystyle\frac{dy}{dx}$ is the derivative (the slope of the tangent line);


  2. $\displaystyle\frac{\delta y}{\delta x(t)}$ is a functional derivative where $y=y[x]$ is a functional of $x(t)$;


  3. $\displaystyle\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}$ is the difference quotient (the slope of the secant line).




No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...