Thursday 4 January 2018

calculus - Convergence of $sum_{n=1}^infty sqrt[n]{2}-1$



I'm trying to determine whether $$\sum_{n=1}^\infty \left ( \sqrt[n]{2}-1\right )$$ converges or diverges. Ratio, root, nth term, etc tests are either inconclusive or too difficult to simplify. I feel like there must be something I can bound this series by but I can't think what.



In this question the answerer very smartly (I have no idea how he/ she thought to do that) used the fact that $(1+\frac 1n)^n \le e \le 3$ to bound $\sqrt[n]{3} -1$ by $\frac 1n$ but that only worked because $3\ge e$. So even though that question looks very similar I don't think I can apply that idea here.



Edit: This is in the section before power/ Taylor series so I don't think I'm allowed to use that.


Answer



Hint:




$$\sqrt[n]{2}-1 = e^{\frac{\log{2}}{n}} - 1 = \frac{\log{2}}{n} + O(n^{-2})$$



as $n \to \infty$.



ADDENDUM



To address your specific problem, consider instead



$$\left (1+\frac{\log{2}}{n} \right )^n $$




which you should be able to show is less than $2$. I that case, then you can show that $\sqrt[n]{2}-1 \gt (\log{2})/n$ and draw your conclusion about the sum.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...