Saturday 6 January 2018

exponentiation - Why is $0^0$ also known as indeterminate?




I've seen on Maths Is Fun that $0^0$ is also know as indeterminate. Seriously, when I wanted to see the value for $0^0$, it just told me it's indeterminate, but when I entered this into the exponent calculator, it was misspelled as "indeterminant". Let's cut to the chase now. I've seen this:$$5^0=1$$$$4^0=1$$$$3^0=1$$$$2^0=1$$$$1^0=1$$$$0^0=1$$and this:$$0^5=0$$$$0^4=0$$$$0^3=0$$$$0^2=0$$$$0^1=0$$$$0^0=0$$Right here, it seems like $0^0$ can be equal to either $0$ or $1$ as proven here. This must be why $0^0$ is indeterminate. Do you agree with me? I can't wait to hear your "great answers" (these answers have to go with all of your questions (great answers). What I mean is that you have to have great answers for all of your questions)!


Answer



Well, any number raised to the power of zero does equal $1$ because the base, or the number being raised to any power, gets divided by itself. For example, $3^0$ equals 3/3, which equals $1$, but $0^0$ "equals" 0/0, which equals any number, which is why it's indeterminate. Also, 0/0 is undefined because of what I just said.


No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...