Wednesday 10 January 2018

geometry - Calculate radius of variable circles surrounding big circle.



I got a circle, which I know all the details about him. (Radius [100], Diameter [200], Circumference [628.32], Area [31415.93]...)




I would like to surround this circle, with smaller circles. I know the amount of the smaller circles (in this case 14, but it can be less > minimum 4).



I need a formula to calculate the Radius of the smaller circles.



I got the following formula, but this is not right...
R = radius of big circle
n = number of smaller circles
P = tan(360/2n)
r = radius of smaller circles



r = (-(PR))/(P-1)




Here's an example of how it should looks like (this is not right, because I didn't know the Radius of the smaller circles, I just guessed..):



enter image description here



Thank you very much!


Answer



If you connect the centers of two adjacent little circles and the center of the big one, you'll get a triangle. The sides of this triangle have lengths $r+R, r+R$ and $2r$. A little trigonometry will get you that the top angle is



$$\theta=2\arcsin\left(\frac{r}{r+R}\right) \; .$$




Since you want the small circles to form a closed ring around the big circle, this angle should enter an integer amount of times in $360°$ (or $2\pi$ if you work in radians). Thus,



$$\theta=360°/n \; .$$



From this, you can compute that



$$r=\frac{R \sin(180°/n)}{1-\sin(180°/n)} \; .$$



Here's a plot of the result for $n=14$:




Circle ring



Here's the code in Scilab:




n=14;



R=1;



r=R*sin(%pi/n)/(1-sin(%pi/n));




theta=2*%pi*(0:999)/1000;



plot(Rcos(theta),Rsin(theta));



hold on;



for k=0:(n-1),



plot((r+R)*cos(2*k*%pi/n)+r*cos(theta),(r+R)*sin(2*k*%pi/n)+r*sin(theta));




end;



hold off;



No comments:

Post a Comment

real analysis - How to find $lim_{hrightarrow 0}frac{sin(ha)}{h}$

How to find $\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(ha)}{h}$ without lhopital rule? I know when I use lhopital I easy get $$ \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}...